Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Before I Go

As I wrote in my earlier post today, beginning next week I will walk a medieval pilgrimage route through northern Spain. I fly out of Texas April 29, then walk the approximate 500 miles from May 2 through June 6 (?), depending on how long it takes me to get to Santiago. Regardless, I fly home from Madrid June 10. My overall purpose is twofold: 1) to give thanks to God for all the things in my life; and 2) to s-l-o-w myself d-o-w-n (mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually) to hear Him and see Him more clearly.

I will write in a journal as I go. When I return, I will transfer my journal into blog entries here. I am on Facebook too, under Kaye Robinson Johnson.

If you are interested in the history, legend and/or culture of El Camino de Santiago (aka The Way of St James), a few good websites are: http://www.caminosantiagodecompostela.com/camino-de-santiago-franceshttp://www.caminoadventures.com/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James.

My favorite books on the subject are Hiking the Camino (500 Miles with Jesus) by Father Dave Pivonka, and To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin A. Codd. A 2010 movie by Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen called "The Way" shows many of the places I'll walk, and makes me cry. Ha. It's available on Netflix.

I will read from Thomas a Kempis' The Imitation of Christ each morning as a devotional and thought-provoker, beginning May 1 with Book One, Chapter One. I will read a chapter a day (they are short) and continue straight through into Book Two, etc. One of my dear friends offered to read long with me and thus feel a sense of kinship knowing we would be dwelling on the same spiritual ideas each day. If you would like to join us, please feel free - I think it's a great idea!

Buen Camino!


No comments:

Post a Comment